Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Powwow dancers

This is an outtake from a shoot I did for the paper - these two children, who are Native American, have received the high honored of being asked to lead the dances at a Powwow in Maine. They were very cooperative with me, and posed for portraits while I fiddled around and tried some new lighting techniques (with minimal success, I must admit.) Of course, the "unlit" photo is the one that strikes me the most, in conjunction with the odd, formal, slightly tense posture and expression of the siblings here. It sort of seems like the kind of photograph that would be found in an old anthropology book, where white westerners try to depict "foreign" cultures by awkwardly dressing and posing their subjects....

Copyright 2008 Valley News - May not be printed or reused without permission

No comments: